Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sightseeing Saturday

As promised, our next sightseeing adventure is to Wadi Rum in Jordan. First, a little background on the area:

"Stunning in its natural beauty, Wadi Rum epitomizes the romance of the desert. With its "moonscape" of ancient valleys and towering sandstone mountains rising out of the sand, Wadi Rum is also home to several Bedouin tribes who live in scattered camps throughout the area. Climbers are especially attracted to Wadi Rum because of its sheer granite and sandstone cliffs, while hikers enjoy its vast empty spaces. Wadi Rum is probably best known because of its connection with the enigmatic British officer T.E. Lawrence, who was based here during the Great Arab Revolt of 1917-18. Much of David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia was filmed in Wadi Rum."

Once we arrived at Wadi Rum, we waited for a jeep to take us out into the desert.


Our first stop was in an area where there is "quicksand". Not like what you see in the movies, but sand that is so fine, you can sink up to your knees and was very hard to walk through. I remember one mom with twins who were going crazy running up and down and all around. She kept screaming at them. I think she was afraid they would actually sink and disappear before her very eyes.


I love this picture of Zack and Yusef so had it enlarged and hung it in our living room.

The natural beauty of the area was so serene.




The kids had the best time rolling down the dunes.

We all had red sand in our shoes for weeks after that excursion.

As the sun set we headed back to the camp where we were provided with a meal and then the long journey back to our hotel.


Our day began with Petra and ended with Wadi Rum. Certainly a day to remember.
Holiday blessings, Tammy

12 comments:

A Fanciful Life said...

Hi Tammy,
Well that looked like a super fun day! What a beautiful area. However, I would be a bit scared about the quicksand thing. If I remember the movie correctly, didn't one man actually sink into the sand and disappear? I guess since I can't swim either, those things scare me! What a great outing for your family.
Hugs,
Sharon :-)

Anonymous said...

How amazing this country is. I guess in my world I never considered what it would be like to live in a desert area! The desert is so beautiful in it's own way..... I love the history too!!
Merry Christmas!
Marilyn
xxoo

Rita said...

Dearest Tammy,
thank you for sharing such beautiful photos of your outing. you have the ability of making me dream of places I've never visited nor quite likely ever will. looks like a great day to remember, sand in shoes included LOL!
I'm so happy to hear you're already on vacation. I've still got three whole working days to go...then it will be Christmas eve already and I'm not yet done with all my gift buying and wrapping - so far I've only bought and shipped gifts to a couple of most dear friends who live far away... I'm a little under preassure and need very badly to have my batteries recharged.
Have a blessed Sunday
rita

crochet lady said...

That is really beautiful and interesting. I have never been to a place that has so much sand. I am sure I would awed by the vastness of such a place.

Wonderful photos of what looks like a great trip!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Tammy,

I enjoyed seeing your holiday pictures and what a wonderful and interesting place.
thank you.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Hugs
Carolyn

Elyse said...

wow - i am always amazed at how we all get a taste of each other's lives and locales through blogging. thanks for sharing.

xo

Rose said...

Tammy,

The whole area is stunning in it's starkness. Rocks so beautifully sculptured by sand and wind. What an amazing adventure for your children to experience. I think I would love rolling in the sand myself, lol. Thanks for sharing those amazing photos.

Blessings
Rose

Anonymous said...

I think it is awesome how unique God created our earth with so much diversity - Your pictures remind me some of my home state of New Mexico with it's desserts. WE also have the White Sands there which is fun to play in!

Great finds at the bazaar too! My what great prices!

blessings
mary

Simple Home said...

Beautiful photos Tammy. I thought the sand in our desert got into everything, but it's not fine like this sand. I love the picture you enlarged, it was a great choice. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a Merry Christmas.
Blessings,
Marcia

miruspeg said...

Tammy you are really opening up my eyes and showing me what a beautiful country Jordan is.
Sounds like you all had wonderful time in Wadi Rum.
Thanks for sharing your memories. I love that about blogging, we get to go to places we would never dream of.
Love your Christmas music too.
Take care and have a wonderful Christmas and an adverturous and safe 2010.
Hugs
Peggy xxx

GwendolynKay said...

Looks like a great day for you all sight seeing. I see you are having fun climbing that dune. You are always up for a physical challenge! hugs!
Gwen

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures, Tammy! I feel like I have seen some of them before, but others looked new. Really beautiful scenes. You would never think the desert could be that stunning in it's simple beauty! Thanks for sharing!!

Love,
Renee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...